• 48°

Pioneers conquer Warriors in a junior varsity contest

Happy Valley – After an exciting shutout win for the Happy Valley varsity team against Cosby Friday night, Monday meant the start of a new week and more importantly, a chance for the younger squads to face competition in junior varsity contests.
The Happy Valley Warriors, after losing a low scoring affair against Unicoi County last Monday, were back in action to take on the David Crockett Pioneers.
The Pioneers would receive the ball first, and it was a slow march down the field until quarterback Jake Fox would call his own number and take it the distance from fifteen yards out to give David Crockett a 7-0 lead late in the first.
It looked as if the Warriors would be able to strike back and even the score on their inaugural drive, but a few mental miscues halted the home team and gave the Pioneers possession once again.
It became a chess match for both teams as neither squad would be able to get past midfield due to the defensive efforts of both the Warriors and Pioneers.
However, that would change about halfway through the second quarter when the Pioneers would gain 20-plus yards on two consecutive plays to put the visitors in the red zone with a chance to score.
But three penalties in a row would stop the Pioneers’ momentum and force them to give up the ball, as the Warriors would run out the clock to take it to halftime down 7-0.
The Warriors would start the second half with a bang as on the opening kickoff Pedro Colunga would take the ball past midfield and into enemy territory where the home team would set up shop.
But things would change drastically as only a few plays into the drive, a fumble in the backfield would be taken back fifty-five yards by Pioneer defensive lineman Adrian Wynn to increase the David Crockett lead to 14-0.
It had begun to be less of a close game in the third quarter when Hunter Gillette would take off down the sideline from forty yards out to increase the Pioneer lead to 20-0 heading into the final quarter of play.
It was midway through the fourth quarter when things were officially getting out of hand as Fox found his receiver for a fifty-yard touchdown pass to increase the David Crockett lead to 27-0 with little time remaining.
The remainder of the game was very slow-paced, as the Warriors would be halted yet again and the visitors would run out the clock to finish the game with a final score of 27-0 in favor of the visitors from David Crockett.