Smoke sends EFD to Cato Fashions

Published 9:19 pm Tuesday, October 26, 2021

FROM STAFF REPORTS

Burned wires inside a heating and cooling unit sent smoke into a local business on Monday.

Employees with CATO Fashions noticed smoke filtering into the store at about 4:30 p.m. Monday and the Elizabethton Fire Department and Elizabethton Police Department responded to the call.

Fire Lieutenant Russell Hodge said responders discovered after climbing to the top of the build that a motor on a heating and cooling unit had seized, burning wires in the process. The smoke was dispersed through the vent system and into the store.

There were no reports of injuries. The fire department stayed on scene and set up fans to help disperse the smell from the inside of the business.