Fire destroys home on Browns Branch Road

Published 10:50 am Friday, January 9, 2015

NW0111 LEDE Fire Destroys Home A 4x5C

A Hampton family has been displaced from their home after it was destroyed by fire late Wednesday night.
Hampton/Valley Forge Volunteer Fire Department Chief Johnny Isaacs said the home in the 500 block of Browns Branch Road was a total loss.
The three adults who lived there escaped without injury, he said, but one dog died in the fire.
The home belonged to Roy and Eula Ellison, who lived their with their adult son. Family member Sharon Pilk said the Ellisons lost everything they owned in the fire.
Early investigations showed the fire started near a chimney for a wood stove. Isaacs said the fire climbed the wall of the home behind the chimney and made its way to the attic. From there, the fire continued to spread.
“Once it got in the attic, it burned through all the way from one end to the other,” Isaacs said.
Issacs said the homeowners did not have insurance. The local chapter of the Red Cross was called in to assist the family.
Firefighters were on the scene at the home until early Thursday morning. The fire was first dispatched to the HVFVFD at around 8:30 p.m. Isaacs said crews had the blaze under control within an hour but did not leave the scene until 1 a.m.
Isaacs estimates it took about 20,000 gallons of water to extinguish the fire.
“It was really cold, and the water froze,” he said. “There was ice all over Browns Branch Road, and the wind was gusting. It was rough going.”
To help the family, Pilk is collecting donations of household items and clothing to give to the family. She said the family had found a home to stay in but that it was completely unfurnished. Sizes for the family are men’s shirt sizes medium and large, men’s pants sizes 34/32 and 30/30 and men’s shoes sizes 8 and 10. Women’s sizes are small shirts, size 6 pants and size 6 shoes.
To make a contribution, call Pilk at 543-1084 or 213-9058.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox