Crosswind could have caused plane to skid from runway

Published 11:38 am Tuesday, March 10, 2015

NW0310 Plane Crash Followup B 4x5

A crosswind could be the cause of an accident on Saturday, when a small airplane skidded off the runway at the Elizabethton Municipal Airport, according to a report from the Elizabethton Police Department.

Shortly before 11 a.m., an AC1160 Carbon Cub piloted by Michael Brown, Elizabethton, slid off Runway 24 at the airport while trying to land.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Members of the Elizabethton police and fire departments, as well as the Carter County Emergency Management Agency responded to the scene of the accident, which is now under investigation by the Federal Aviation Administration.

In the official incident report from the EPD, Brown was quoted by EPD Sgt. Patrick White as saying there “may or may not have been a strong crosswind” that pushed the plane from the runway. Brown was traveling west and attempting to land.

“Mr. Brown advised he lost control of the aircraft and crossed the median separating the runway and the taxiway,” White said.

After that, the aircraft crossed the taxiway and traveled east before running off the side of the runway and hitting a tree, which turned the plane back around to face west.

According to the report, Brown was the only passenger and received no injuries from the crash and declined transport by the Carter County Rescue Squad.

Brown is an established pilot with the Elizabethton Municipal Airport, Manager Dan Cogan said.

“He is definitely experienced,” Cogan said. “He has been flying here for years.”

Since the crash is now under the investigation of the FAA, no additional information will be available beyond the initial incident report, EPD Chief Greg Workman said.

“Because the accident occurred on the Elizabethton Municipal Airport’s property, the FAA will be conducting that investigation,” Workman said.

EFD and EPD officials kept the accident scene secure until FAA officials arrived at the airport to investigation.

Officials with the FAA could not be reached for comment.