2-county police chase ends in Stoney Creek man’s arrest

Published 9:04 am Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Stoney Creek man is facing multiple charges after a police pursuit through two counties over the weekend.

Carter County deputies arrested Dylan Allen Richardson Berry, 22, of 2553 Highway 91, Elizabethton, early Sunday and charged him with reckless driving, evading arrest by a motor vehicle and speeding. Officers also served Berry with an outstanding warrant charging him with violation of probation.

Shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday, Carter County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. Issac Rhea and Deputy Jonathan Simerly were on patrol in the Valley Forge area when they saw a vehicle approaching with its high beams on. As the vehicle passed the officers the driver did not dim his lights, so Rhea turned his patrol car to stop the vehicle.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“When I turned the driver accelerated the vehicle,” Rhea said, adding he caught up to the vehicle as it turned onto First Avenue in Hampton. “The vehicle turned onto Swimming Pool Road and the driver turned the headlights off in an attempt to evade.”

Rhea contacted CCSD Lt. Derrick Hamm who also attempted to stop the car.

“The vehicle turned onto George Brown Road and almost struck Lt. Hamm head on,” Rhea said, adding the vehicle then turned onto Highway 321 from Swimming Pool Road.

It was around this time that Rhea recognized the vehicle and its owner, Berry, who had an active warrant for his arrest.

Berry continued traveling north on Highway 321 with speeds ranging from 24-80 miles per hour, Rhea said, adding Berry crossed into the oncoming lane several times. “At times the vehicle appeared to be cutting out and stalling,” Rhea said.

The police pursuit continued into Johnson County, where officers with the Johnson County Sheriff’s Department responded to assist.

“The vehicle turned onto Cross Mountain road and after a short time the vehicle stalled out,” Rhea said.

After the vehicle stopped, officers tried to arrest Berry but he resisted, Rhea said. Berry suffered scrapes and minor lacerations to the right side of his face, both elbows and his right palm during his struggle with officers, Rhea said, adding Berry was treated by medical staff at the Carter County Detention Center.

The police pursuit covered 24.5 miles through Carter and Johnson Counties over the course of 25 minutes with an average speed of 59 miles per hour, Rhea said.

The pursuit was the second time during his shift that Rhea had encountered Berry’s vehicle.

“I had attempted to stop Mr. Berry on Highway 91 earlier in the evening, but as I turned on Mr. Berry he accelerated and was able to evade me,” Rhea said.

Following his arrest officers transported Berry to the detention center where he was booked in and later posted bond. He is scheduled to appear in Carter County General Sessions Court on April 14.