Registration dates approaching for Covered Bridge Celebration events
Published 11:30 am Tuesday, May 17, 2016
Some new events and returning favorites are planned for the 50th annual Covered Bridge Celebration, on top of the live music and dozens of vendors set to pack out Covered Bridge Park June 8-11.
Whether you plan to out-lift your peers in the Battle at the Bridge, break your buddies’ fishing record in the Kids Catfish Tournament, or win the Little Mr. and Miss Hillbilly Contest, preregistration is required for many, but not all, of this year’s competitions and activities.
• Little Mr. and Miss Hillbilly Contest is set for June 11 at 11 a.m. Applications are available online at www.elizabethtonchamber.com and are due May 31 to the Elizabethton/Carter County Chamber of Commerce. Children may apply in four categories by age for $15 per contestant. Late entries will be accepted till June 3 for $20. Check-in time is between 10-10:45 a.m. Hand props are permitted, but no live animals will be allowed. Judges will vote based on stage presence, quality of costume, originality and personality. Double CC Ranch will award prizes to a male and female winner in each category.
•Community Yard Sale is set for June 11 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on East E Street. Applications for spaces are available online at www.elizabethtonchamber.com and are due June 3 with $10 to the Chamber. Vendors may reserve multiple 10-foot by 10-foot spaces and must bring their own tables and tents. Flea market items are not allowed, only items one would sell in a home yard sell like antiques and unused items in good condition. Setup will begin at 7 a.m. and vendors must be ready to sell at 8 a.m. and taken down by 3 p.m.
• Covered Bridge 5K Run and 3K Walk will begin at 8 a.m. at City Hall. Applications are due byJune 3 for $20, but people may register for $25 from June 4 through the day of the race. Those that register in advance are guaranteed T-shirts, and all participants will be timed. Awards will be given at the Covered Bridge Festival stage for the top overall male and female runners and walkers, and also for the top three in each age group. The race benefits Sycamore Shoals Hospital Foundation and raised $6,100 last year with 285 racers. Registration is possible at runtricities.org under the Event Calendar tab. For more info call Sharon Sheppard at 423-542-1338.
• Battle at the Bridge is a new 3-event competition hosted by Crossfit Kolóna at 10 a.m. on June 11. Applicants must register for $75 by June 6, but may be able to register on the day of the event if space is still available for an increased price. Entry fee includes T-shirt. Athletes must check in at 9 a.m. Six local sponsors promise prizes worth competitors’ best efforts. Teams must be comprised of one male and one female who will compete in three events. More information is available at crossfitkolona.com/battle-at-the-bridge-2016.
• 7th Annual Free Kids Catfish Tournament will take place on June 11 at the Workforce Development Complex. No pre-registration is required for this catfishing extravaganza for kids under age 12. Registration begins at 8 a.m. and the tournament takes place from 9 a.m. to noon.
• 8th Annual Peggy Merryman Golf Tournament will take place 1 p.m. at the Elizabethton Golf Course. Registration is available online, but goflers may register on the day of the event at 11 a.m. Lunch will take place at noon provided by Fatz Cafe Catering. This tournament benefits the Elizabethton/Carter County Community Foundation which has supported a number of local agencies with thousands in funding. Registration is $50 per individual or $200 per individual. Hole sponsorships and other sponsorship packages are available. Registration and sponsorship is available online at https://etf.webconnex.com/eccfgolf.