Man pleads guilty to assaulting step-dad, breaking window

Published 9:24 am Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Maverick Coone

Maverick Coone

A Carter County man pled guilty in court on Monday to charges he assaulted his step-father and broke a window at a neighbor’s home over the weekend.
Deputies of the Carter County Sheriff’s Office arrested Maverick Coone, 22, 1853 Powder Branch Road, Johnson City, on Saturday evening and charged him with domestic assault and vandalism.
Coone appeared in Carter County General Sessions Court on Monday where he entered a guilty plea to both charges against him. Judge Keith Bowers Jr. ordered Coone to pay a $25 fine and court costs on each of the charges and sentenced him to 11 months and 29 days probation. Bowers also ordered Coone to have no contact with the victim in the case.
The charges against Coone stem from an incident over the weekend where deputies of the Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to a home on Powder Branch Road on a report of a domestic assault shortly after 6 p.m. on Saturday.
“Comm Center (911 dispatchers) advised that the caller was assaulted by his step-son but was able to get away from him and lock himself inside of the neighbor’s residence,” Deputy Jason Mosier said. “Comm Center also advised the caller’s step-son busted a window out of the residence trying to get to his step-father.”
When Mosier arrived at the home he spoke with the man who had called 911. The man told Mosier his step-son, whom he identified as Coone, had assaulted him in the front yard following an argument between the two.
“He stated that Maverick got him on the ground and continued striking him in the face,” Mosier said, adding he observed “several” injuries to the man. “ The man had several lacerations to his face, swelling around his eyes, his nose was bleeding heavily and he had a laceration on his right arm, Mosier said. The deputy also noted that there was blood and mud on the man’s pants and shirt.
Members of the Carter County Rescue Squad were called to the scene and transported to the man to a local hospital for treatment.
The man told officers his step-son Coone had fled into a wooded area behind the home before officers arrived. Officers searched the area around the home for Coone but were not able to locate him.
About two hours later officers were dispatched back to the home after a 911 caller reported Coone had returned to the residence. Officers found Coone at the home and placed him under arrest.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox