Judge orders man held without bond on domestic violence charge

Published 5:30 am Saturday, December 17, 2016

James Campbell

James Campbell

A Johnson City man faces felony charges after police say he broke into a Carter County home and assaulted his former girlfriend.
Officers of the Johnson City Police Department arrested James Campbell, 41, of Johnson City, on Thursday and charged him with aggravated burglary and aggravated domestic assault.
Around 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, officers of the JCPD were dispatched to a home on South Roan Street, in a portion of Johnson City that is located inside of Carter County, after a woman called 911 to report she had been assaulted.
When officers arrived the spoke with the woman who told them when she came home she found her front door standing open. The woman told officers she went inside to see if her roommate had unlocked the door.
When she entered the home, the woman reported she was struck in the face and arm with a “stick” by her ex-boyfriend. The woman told officers she ran away to call 911.
“As the victim ran, she could hear the suspect say, ‘I’m going to kill you (expletive), tonight you’re going to die!,” the warrant for Campbell’s arrest states.
The woman told officers her ex-boyfriend has not lived at the home since he was arrested in October, also on a domestic violence charge. The woman said she had changed the locks on the residence following Campbell’s arrest in October 20.
Campbell was not at the home when officers arrived, but officers obtained warrants charging Campbell with aggravated domestic assault and aggravated burglary in connection with the incident. He was later arrested and booked into the Carter County Detention Center.
Campbell appeared in Carter County General Sessions Court on Friday morning for arraignment. During the court appearance, Judge Keith Bowers Jr. ordered Campbell held without bond due to the fact he had just been released on his own recognizance on the pending domestic violence charge on Wednesday and in less than 48 hours had picked up another felony domestic assault charge.
In the Oct. 20 incident, the woman told officers Campbell had choked her until she passed out and had held a knife to her throat and forehead. Officers in that case noted in court documents that the woman had a thin scratch across her forehead that could have been caused by the knife, defensive scratches on her hands, and fading red marks on her neck, cheek and arms.
Campbell was arrested at that time and transported to the Carter County Detention Center where he was held Bowers released him on an OR bond during a court appearance on Dec. 13.
Campbell is scheduled to return to General Sessions Court on Dec. 20.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox