County deputies rescue disabled man after responding to fire call

Published 5:55 pm Friday, February 10, 2017

Deputies with the Carter County Sheriff’s Office rescued a disabled man from his home when they responded to a report of a fire at the residence Thursday night.
Around 8:30 p.m., CCSO Lt. Michael Bean responded to the home at 1408 Stateline Road after someone called 911 to report a fire at the residence.
“Carter County 911 advised that there was a disabled male subject still inside the residence,” Bean said in his report on the fire. “Myself, Deputy Robbie Hughes, and Sgt. David Caldwell arrived on scene moments later.”
When the officers arrived, they saw a woman, identified as Jeannie Kellison, standing in the driveway, and she told officers she was the caretaker of a disabled man who was still inside the home.
“Deputy Hughes and I made entry into the residence to locate the male but were unable to at first because of the amount of smoke,” Bean said. “After pulling out all the oxygen tanks from inside the doorway of the residence, we made a second approach and were able to locate the male.”
“Deputy Hughes and I lifted the male and took him to safety with assistance from Sgt. Caldwell and Deputy Christian Carrier,” Bean added.
Shortly after the officers brought the man out of the home, members of the Carter County Rescue Squad arrived on the scene and transported the man to the Johnson City Medical Center for treatment.
“The caretaker, Ms. Kellison, identified the male subject to be Mr. Michael Shotkosky,” Bean said. “Ms. Kellison stated that Mr. Shotkosky was unable to walk due to medical reasons and he is on oxygen. She advised that he was smoking a cigarette with his oxygen attached to his face and that was where the fire began.”
Hampton Volunteer Fire Department Chief Johnny Isaacs confirmed the fire started with Shotkosky’s oxygen tanks. He said when firefighters arrived on the scene the fire was out and the man had already been carried outside.
“He was smoking and the oxygen caught fire,” Isaacs said, adding the fire spread through the oxygen tubes to the machinery and tanks.
On Friday, Carter County Sheriff Dexter Lunceford commended his officers for their brave actions in entering the home and carrying the man to safety.
“They did an outstanding job,” Lunceford said. “The people of Carter County are lucky to have officers like them.”

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox