Attempted murder case headed to Grand Jury

Published 8:57 pm Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A Carter County man charged with attempted murder in connection with a reported home invasion will now have the case against him heard by a Carter County Grand Jury.

On Monday, Timothy Stapp, 44, of 128 Norman Joines Road, Elizabethton, ap­peared in Carter County Gen­eral Sessions Court Monday morning. Stapp was scheduled for a preliminary hearing on charges of attempted first-de­gree murder, aggravated kid­napping, aggravated burglary, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, and carrying or possession of a weapon by a convicted felon.

During his court appear­ance, Stapp waived his right to have a preliminary hearing in the case and asked that the charges against him be bound over to a Carter County Grand Jury.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

General Sessions Court Judge Keith Bowers granted the request and bound the case over to the Grand Jury. Stapp is now scheduled to appear in Carter County Criminal Court on Nov. 20.

Carter County Sheriff’s Office Investigator Michael Bean and the alleged victim Drew Cave had both been subpoenaed to testify at the preliminary hearing.

The charges against Stapp stem from an incident on the morning of Thursday, May 4, when Stapp allegedly forced his way into a home in the Stoney Creek community and held the owner at gunpoint before firing multiple shots from a gun at the man.

Deputies of the Carter County Sheriff’s Office responded to a home on Mill Creek Road after a woman called 911 to report an armed subject forced his way into her home and was holding her husband hostage at gunpoint. The woman, Cynthia Cave, was able to escape the home and make it to a neighbor’s to call 911.

According to court docu­ments, as officers approached the home they heard a man, later identified as Stapp, talk­ing with Drew Cave. Officers said Stapp fired multiple shots at Drew Cave as he fled from the home. According to police, Stapp exited the home armed with a gun and later surren­dered.

Following his arrest, investigators interviewed Stapp regarding the incident.

“The defendant (said) that he waited for the victim outside of his home for several hours during the early morn­ing hours,” CCSO Investigator Michael Bean said. “When the victim raised the garage door the defendant entered the garage and held him at gun­point. He ordered the victim back into the residence where they began talking.”