Trinity Academy takes soggy win over Hampton

Published 11:27 pm Friday, August 17, 2018

A late surge heading into halftime was all the Knights needed to make a statement.

Trinity Academy avenged their 42-0 loss to Hampton Friday night by taking home a 28-6 victory against the Bulldogs during a rainy contest inside J.C. Campbell Stadium.

Offensive struggled plagued both teams early on in the first half with Hampton jumping ahead with a goalline plunge from running back Lane Potter with a little over three minutes to go in the first quarter.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The Knights used a little bit of a prayer on the last drive of the half, thanks in part from quarterback Titus Brooks. With time ticking, Brooks was able to connect with D.D. Butler in the corner of the endzone with 12 seconds on the clock to knot things up at 6-6 heading into halftime.

With second half magic on their side, Brooks was able to scamper in for a score early in the second half while Thomas Brown chipped in another touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Hampton was able to use a steady of Alex Hardin, Potter, Matt Hughes and Caleb Oaks to move the ball down the field on offense, but penalties would often be the bearing of bad news when organizing a drive.

And the ‘Dogs had their opportunity with a stingy secondary. Hughes, Isiah Greenwell and Jone Jones were able to come away with first-half interceptions to help Hampton hold off any chances to a route from the Knights.

Mother Nature also played a part in an already sloppy contest. After a lengthy downpour, the contest was suspended for a period of time due to lightning in the area. Once play resumed, Trinity was able to tack on one more score to put the stamp on the contest.

Hampton will look to get back into the win column next Friday with a road contest against Johnson County. The Longhorns enter the contest after earning a 14-0 win over Sullivan East Thursday night.

Kickoff in Mountain City is set for 7:30 p.m.