Warriors strike Rangers as storm-delayed affair sees Happy Valley top Unaka, 41-0

Published 1:12 am Saturday, September 28, 2019

STONEY CREEK- Lightning stole the show in Stoney Creek on Friday as the Happy Valley Warriors would make the short trip to Stoney Creek to take on the Rangers of Unaka.
The only thing more powerful than the storm on Friday was the Warrior offense as they bashed the Rangers over and over again on their way to a 41-0 victory.
Happy Valley started with quarterback Eli Ayers finding Will Tittle for 67 yards and a touchdown on just the second play from scrimmage. The Warriors would miss the extra point and the score stood at 6-0 just 30 seconds in.
Landon Ramsey led the Unaka offense on to the field looking to quickly answer the Warriors score, but he and the Rangers were met with a stout Happy Valley defense. The Rangers would go three and out and the Warriors took back over at the 36.
With a ton of momentum, Happy Valley confidently marched back on to the field and would pick back up right where they left off as Jordan Campbell scampered 29 yards on the first play of the drive. Afterward, a big pass play from Ayers set up Campbell for a 14-yard touchdown.
Down 12 just a few minutes into the game, Unaka tried to pick up the pieces and make it competitive. Their plans would, however, be thwarted when the exchange of the ball was fumbled and Happy Valley would recover.
Starting with great field position, it didn’t take long for the Warriors to once again find the end zone, this time on a Matthew Bahm six-yard carry. An unsuccessful two-point conversion would make the score 18-0.
Desperate for any sort of momentum, Unaka took the field again. Ramsey would find Daniel Shearl for the first Ranger first down of the game, but the offensive success was short-lived as just three plays later Shearl was once again punting the ball back to the Warriors.
An eager Warrior offense would step back on the field looking to continue dominance, but the Unaka defense stepped up and forced a three and out.
Logan Benway looked to get something going as he rushed three straight carries for 13 yards and Unaka finally looked like they might get something going, but Happy Valley would once again batten down the hatches and force a punt.
The Warriors would continue their offensive onslaught when Baum would find a seam and bust a run 65 yards for another Happy Valley touchdown giving the Warriors a 26-0 lead following a successful two-point conversion.
The next four possessions were back and forth shifts of the ball with neither team doing a whole lot offensively.
Then came the rain. The Rangers would takeover and lightning would strike forcing a 70-minute rain delay with 2:28 left in the 2nd quarter.
Back out of the delay and halftime, Happy Valley went back to work wasting little time pushing Unaka into a three and out and then adding another touchdown when Ayers would find Cameron Slone for seven yards and a score.
Happy Valley would add another touchdown making the score 41-0 and that’s how the affair would end.
A tough, uphill battle for Unaka saw Happy Valley play a very complete game. The large storm delay made for an odd flow and the Rangers could never really get their footing.
Next up for Happy Valley is a much needed week of rest before the home stretch of the season begins. For Unaka, a date with cross-county foe Cloudland awaits.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox