MPCC offers variety of special needs therapeutic recreation programs
Memorial Park Community Center, 510 Bert St., Johnson City, is offering new programs for individuals with special needs. The following free classes will begin in September:
• Life Skills: 10:30-11:30 a.m., Thursdays, Sept. 2-Dec 16. Topics such as money management, cooking and independent living skills will be covered. 18 and older.
• Game Nights: 6-7 p.m., Thursdays, Sept. 2-Dec. 16. Make new friends while learning and playing various games. Some board and card games will be provided, but attendees are welcome to bring their own. 18 and older.
• Fitness Fun: 3:30-4:30 p.m., Mondays and Fridays, Sept. 3-Dec. 20. This class uses resistance bands, light weights and other low-impact equipment to assist with strengthening and stretching. Participants should bring a water bottle and wear appropriate shoes and clothing for exercise. 13 and older.
• Youth Sports and Games: 6-7 p.m., Tuesdays, Sept. 7-Oct. 26. Participants will learn the basics of multiple sports and play group games. Ages 7-18.
• Adult Sports and Games: 1-2:30 p.m., Wednesdays, Sept. 1-Dec. 15. Participants will learn the basics of multiple sports and play group games. 18 and older.
• Crafty Creations: 10-11 a.m., Tuesdays, Sept. 7-Dec. 21. Participants will draw, paint, create and learn about different art mediums. 13 and older.
Caregivers are welcome, as no personal care will be provided. Preregistration, which begins Aug. 23, is required and can be completed in person at MPCC or by calling 423-434-5749. For more information, call 423-461-4851.
Members of the TVA Boone Dam project team and Lenny Peterson were honored by the U.S. Marine Corps for annual... read more