ETSU’s historic season concludes in Fargo… Bucs drop a 27-3 decision to the Bison
Published 1:58 pm Monday, December 13, 2021
CONTRIBUTED BY ETSU ATHLETICS
FARGO, N.D. – The ETSU Football team dropped a 27-3 decision to 2nd-seeded North Dakota State in the FCS Quarterfinals on Saturday inside the Fargodome in Fargo, N.D. With the loss, the Bucs conclude their season with an 11-2 overall record.
The Bucs had their hands full in the quarterfinal game with a team that has lost just six home games since 2011. The Bison picked up 401 yards of offense, including 278 on the ground.
The Bucs finished the game with 165 total yards, including 66 in the ground game and 99 through the air. North Dakota State scored the game’s first 20 points and just relied on its defense to do the rest, allowing ETSU to score just three points on the afternoon.
Tyler Riddell (Tampa, Fla.) finished 16-of-32 with 92 yards, completing six passes to Malik Murray (Duluth, Ga.) for 40 yards. The Buccaneer duo in the backfield combined for 69 yards on 21 carries, led by Quay Holmes (Powder Springs, Ga.) with 35 yards on 14 carries.
The ETSU defense was led in tackles by Tyree Robinson (Gainesville, Ga.) and Mike Price (Stockbridge, Ga.) with 10 apiece, while Donovan Manuel (Ellenwood, Ga.) chipped in for eight. Veteran linebacker Jared Folks (Harrisburg, Pa.) picked up the lone sack for the Blue & Gold.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
– NDSU 6, ETSU 0: Following a missed Buccaneer field goal, the Bison drew first blood as TaMerik Williams scrambled in from three yards out. North Dakota State elected to go for two and was stoned at the goal line by Mike Price.
– NDSU 13, ETSU 0: North Dakota State tacked on to its lead after Williams broke through for a 7-yard touchdown run, capping a 9-play, 76-yard drive.
– NDSU 20, ETSU 0: The Bison pulled away with their third rushing touchdown of the game, this time a 3-yard touchdown run from quarterback Cam Miller.
– NDSU 20, ETSU 3: ETSU cracked the scoreboard late in the third quarter following a 40-yard field goal off the boot of Tyler Keltner.
– NDSU 27, ETSU 3: The final touchdown of the game came via the ground attack with Hunter Luepke breaking free for an 11-yard touchdown run.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
– Tyree Robinson collected 10 tackles in the game, setting a new career-high.
– Tyler Keltner (Tallahassee, Fla.) finished the game 1-of-2 in field goal tries, burying one from 40 yards as the only points for the Bucs.
– The Bison used seven different players in the ground attack, led by TaMerik Williams with 91 yards on 15 carries and two touchdowns.
– The Bucs were shut out in the first half for just the second time this season – ETSU dropped the other contest in which that happened against Chattanooga on Oct. 16.
– The Bison owned the line of scrimmage, outgaining the Bucs 401-165, including 278-66 in the ground attack.
– ETSU is just the second team this year to hold North Dakota State scoreless in the first half.
– With the loss, ETSU drops to 0-1 all-time against North Dakota State and 0-1 against current Missouri Valley Football Conference teams.