Visit Roan Mountain
Published 12:22 pm Tuesday, December 13, 2022
Support Our Wildlife Ambassadors
ROAN MOUNTAIN STATE PARK
* $10.00 / Feeds one bird a day
* $20.00 / Feeds two birds a day
* $30.00 / Feeds three birds a day
* $40.00 / Feeds four birds a day
* $50.00 / Feeds five birds a day
At Roan Mountain we house, care for, and educate the public on a variety of native animals. We work under an educational permit from TWRA. Currently, we care for three birds of prey and several snakes! As you can imagine, caring for these animals is costly, as their food and health care is a specialty!
All of our animals are non-releasable for a variety of reasons. We frequently program with these animals and never charge for educational programs when using them. Here is your opportunity to support our educational wildlife program and help us care for these animals!
All donations will go to purchase food, pay vet bills, purchase gloves, tethers, falconry equipment, aquarium bedding, and to improve and build more housing facilities for our non-releasable birds of prey.
To donate click the green “Register for Event” button at the right. Your donation is a one-time payment. If you wish to cover more than one day, update the “quantity” you wish to donate, or simply come back to this page in future months.
Thank you for supporting our Wildlife Ambassadors at Roan Mountain State Park!
Friday, December 16
Christmas Céilí at Roan Mountain State Park — 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. Meet at conference center. Price is $2/kids 17 and under. $5 Adults. Register for the event. An Irish céilí (or cèilidh if you’re Scottish!) is a traditional social gathering that often includes traditional dance, music, storytelling and all kinds of good fun. In honor of our region’s Scots-Irish heritage we’ll be hosting an holiday-themed dance céilí at the Roan Mountain State Park Conference Center.
* Céilí Dances: No previous dance experience is required! These dances are meant for regular people and anyone who can walk comfortable can enjoy learning them.
* Traditional Music: The newly-formed Roan Mountain Céilí Band will play a variety of dance tunes to accompany the dances, and a few other tunes in between (traditional Scottish and Irish musicians are welcome to join us, contact Ranger O’Day for details).
* Light Refreshments: Coffee & hot cocoa will be provided, as well as an assortment of holiday treats.
* Photo Booth: Attendees are encouraged to dress in festival holiday attire and take photos to celebrate and remember this special holiday event.
Dress comfortably with good shoes and come well-hydrated!
This is a ticketed event! Adults 18 and older $5 each, kids 17 and younger $2. Volunteers attend free (contact Ranger O’Day for volunteer opportunities).
Christmas Craft Spectacular! — 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Meet at the Conference Center. Price is $2 ages 4 and under, $5 over age 5. Register for the event.
‘Tis the season!
Join Rangers O’Day and Hylen and Interpretive staff Lauren and Amanda at the Roan Mountain State Park Conference Center for an afternoon of festive Christmas crafts, treats and holiday cheer! We’ll be making traditional and nature-themed ornaments, decorating cookies, and enjoying Christmas refreshments and music!
* Decorating Christmas Cookies
* Tree Cookie Ornaments
* Cinnamon Dough Ornaments
* Pomander Balls
Fee covers instruction, materials, and refreshments. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Sunday, January 1, 2023
Roan Mountain New Year Hike – 10 a.m. – 12 noon. Meet at the Visitor Center Porch. Price is $0/Attendee (Free), $10 / $10/Attendee + $10 Donation, $20/$20 Donation (not attending), $20/Attendee + $20 Donation. Register for the event.
Celebrate the start of 2023 at Roan Mountain State Park on a First Day Hike along our newly created Peg Leg Mine Loop Trail located at the Visitor Center. Participants will meet at the Visitor Center porch where hot chocolate and other winter time refreshments will be served followed by a 1.2-mile hike through the forested foothills and Doe River banks of Roan Mountain. Guests will learn what the park’s New Year goals and resolutions are while sharing the successes of 2022. The hike is 1.2-miles with a moderate difficulty rating on a natural terrain trail (average of 7% slope).
Participation is free and limited to 20 individuals, so reserve your hiking spot today. This hike is great for the whole family and dogs are welcome as long as they are leashed. Be sure to dress in layers as weather can be unpredictable on the mountain. We also would like to ask guests to donate to Roan Mountain State Park to help the park fund some of our upcoming major projects which include:
* The design and construction of a back country hiking trail overlooking Roan Mountain and Yellow Mountain Gap with a minimum of 2 back country campsites.
* The upgrade of our Visitor Center museum and educational facility.
* The upkeep and upgrade of our park owl aviary and reptile room.
* The addition and management of new pollinator fields and gardens across 12 acres at Roan Mountain State Park.
June 26-30, 2023
2023 Junior Ranger Camp Ages 8 -11 (Save the Date) — Registration opens May 1, 2023. Learn about safety, plants, animals, bugs, astronomy, environmental stewardship, history and more! At the conclusion of the week each participant will be sworn in as an official Junior Ranger for Tennessee State Parks at our graduation ceremony and banquet.
Camp begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends by noon, Monday through Thursday. Our graduation ceremony and party will take place Friday night from 6-8:30 p.m. at the park Conference Center. An optional night hike will be offered Friday Night after the banquet (families welcome).
Registration fee of $60 includes a t-shirt, daily snacks, and a fun awards celebration on Friday night. Registrants will receive additional paperwork via email including a liability waiver, medical history form, and information forms for each child, as well as agenda details and pickup & drop off locations for each day.
***Cloudland students may register at a discounted rate of $45 by contacting the park office at 423-547-3900.