JCPD arrests man for leaving the scene of accident, DUI, resisting arrest and two counts of assault

Published 2:44 pm Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

On Monday, June 5, officers of the Johnson City Police Department arrested Caleb Darr, Johnson City, and charged him with leaving the scene of an accident, DUI, resisting arrest, and two counts of assault against a first responder.
On Monday, June 5 at 5:50 p.m., officers were dispatched to a multi-vehicle crash near South Roan Street and Buffalo Road. Callers to 911 stated the at-fault vehicle, a Toyota Prius, was driving recklessly and fleeing the scene, and other drivers were attempting to follow it. While responding to the crash site, officers observed a vehicle matching the description of the suspect vehicle traveling north on South Roan Street. The vehicle was driving erratically, and when officers attempted to conduct a traffic stop on the vehicle, it quickly drove into oncoming traffic to maneuver around the police vehicles. The driver then turned onto West Walnut Street and began trying to park alongside the road at a residence. As the suspect vehicle stopped, an officer pulled in front of the Prius to prevent its escape. The driver, identified as Caleb Darr of Johnson City, jumped out of the vehicle and began to aggressively advance on the officer. However, Darr failed to put his vehicle in park, and after he exited the vehicle, it began to roll directly toward the police cruiser. The officer, who was exiting the cruiser while giving Darr commands, had to quickly move out of the way to avoid being struck and pinned between the two vehicles as the Prius struck the police cruiser on the driver’s side. The driver refused all commands, yelling at officers he would not comply. As officers attempted to place Darr into custody, Darr struck one officer in the face and kicked both officers multiple times. After multiple attempts to restrain Darr, officers deployed their department-issued Tasers, and were able to place him in handcuffs and in a police cruiser despite his continued resistance.

Emergency Medical Services were called to the scene to evaluate Darr, due to the suspicion that Darr was under the influence of illegal drugs and was exhibiting signs of excited delirium. He was transported to the Johnson City Medical Center, where he continued to resist before being sedated and admitted for observation.

On Tuesday, June 6, upon his discharge from the hospital, Darr was transported to the Washington County Detention Center, where he was being held in lieu of a $17,500 bond. Arraignment was Tuesday, June 6, at 1:30 p.m. in Washington County General Sessions Court.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox