Visit Roan Mountain
Published 12:24 pm Tuesday, September 5, 2023
Support Our Wildlife Ambassadors
ROAN MOUNTAIN STATE PARK
* $10.00 / Feeds one bird a day
* $20.00 / Feeds two birds a day
* $30.00 / Feeds three birds a day
* $40.00 / Feeds four birds a day
* $50.00 / Feeds five birds a day
At Roan Mountain we house, care for, and educate the public on a variety of native animals. We work under an educational permit from TWRA. Currently, we care for three birds of prey and several snakes! As you can imagine, caring for these animals is costly, as their food and health care is a specialty!
All of our animals are non-releasable for a variety of reasons. We frequently program with these animals and never charge for educational programs when using them. Here is your opportunity to support our educational wildlife program and help us care for these animals!
All donations will go to purchase food, pay vet bills, purchase gloves, tethers, falconry equipment, aquarium bedding, and to improve and build more housing facilities for our non-releasable birds of prey.
To donate click the green “Register for Event” button at the right. Your donation is a one-time payment. If you wish to cover more than one day, update the “quantity” you wish to donate, or simply come back to this page in future months.
Thank you for supporting our Wildlife Ambassadors at Roan Mountain State Park!
Primitive Cooking – Fruit and Vegetables – 3 p.m. Price is $5/ages 12 and under, $8/person. Register for the event. Join Ranger Holland as we have fun using primitive cooking methods to prepare various fruits and vegetables around the campfire. We will explore simple steaming, roasting and baking in the coals with minimal utensils. Meet at Shed #3.
Tomahawk Toss – 2 p.m. – 3 p.m. Price is $5 and register for the event. Learn to throw a tomahawk!. Join Ranger Holland as we have fun learning a popular frontier pastime. Tomahawks provided. No previous Tomahawk-throwing experience is required to enjoy this fun program. Meet at Shed #3.
October 6 – October 8
Women’s Rock Climbing Workshop – 7 p.m. – 3 p.m. Meet at Cumberland Mountain State Park Rec Lodge. Price is $60 and register for the event.
***NOTE*** THIS PROGRAM IS BASED OUT OF CUMBERLAND MOUNTAIN STATE PARK, CROSSVILLE, TN. ALL TIMES ARE CENTRAL TIME.
Event Description: Friday we will start with a meet and greet in the Recreation Lodge at 7 p.m. CST. We will cover outdoor climbing basics, including knot tying and belay technique.
• Saturday we will meet at the Rec Lodge parking lot at 8:30 a.m. CST to carpool to the Black Mountain climbing area. Once we get to Black Mountain, there is a short hike to the climbing location from the trailhead (1/2 mile). A number of top rope climbs and a 40 ft. rappel will be set up for the day. Climbs range in difficulty from beginner to intermediate/advanced.
• Sunday morning we will meet back at the Rec Lodge parking lot at 8:30 a.m. CST to carpool to the Black Mountain for another day of climbing. The day ends around 3 p.m. CST, but you are free to leave earlier as needed (please let one of the staff know if you plan to leave early).
**The Black Mountain Climbing area does not have restroom facilities, please be prepared for each day. We will be practicing Leave No Trace.Age restrictions: 18 years of age and older price: $60 – instruction and gear for the weekend
Accommodations for Cumberland Mountain State Park:Camping/Cabin reservations – make them online at https://tnstateparks.com/parks/cumberland-mountain Please make your camping/cabin reservations ahead of time.Food will not be provided during the course of this workshop. Pack your breakfast, lunch, and snacks for each day. For dinner, we encourage you to bring your own or plan to eat at the Homestead Harvest Restaurant in the park. Cancellation Deadline/Refund Policy: Participants may cancel no later than Friday, Sept. 29, 5 p.m. with a 50% refund. After September 29, 5 p.m., there will be no refunds for participant cancellation.Weather Cancellation: No rain date is set at this time.
Fall-O-Dendron Heritage Festival – 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Meet at the Park Amphitheater.
Join Roan Mountain State Park and the Roan Mountain Citizens Club for the 3rd Annual Fall-O-Dendron Heritage Festival. This FREE outdoor festival celebrates traditional culture, food, art and music.
Fall-O-Dendron Heritage Fiddle Showcase – 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Meet at the Park Amphitheater. Register for the event. Traditional fiddlers of all ages, heritage styles, and abilities are welcome to audition by video to compete in the Annual Fall-O-Dendron Heritage Fiddle Showcase at Roan Mountain State Park at Roan Mountain’s 3rd Annual Fall-O-Dendron Festival.
Entrance fees are waived for this year’s friendly fiddle showcase and competition. Prizes will be awarded in multiple categories.
For complete rules & to enter, visit: https://bit.ly/heritage-fiddle-showcase
For questions, please contact Marcianne O’Day at firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-491-1383
Fall Céilí at Roan Mountain State Park – 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. Meet at the Conference Center. Price is $2/kids 17 and under, $5/adults. Register for the event. An Irish céilí (or cèilidh if you’re Scottish!) is a traditional social gathering that often includes traditional dance, music, storytelling and all kinds of good fun. In honor of our region’s Scots-Irish heritage we’ll be hosting a fall dance céilí at the Roan Mountain State Park Conference Center.
* Ceili Dances: No previous dance experience is required! These dances are meant for regular people and anyone who can walk comfortable can enjoy learning them.
* Traditional Music: The Roan Mountain Céilí Band will play a variety of dance tunes to accompany the dances, and a few other tunes in between (traditional Scottish and Irish musicians are welcome to join us, contact Ranger O’Day for details).
* Light Refreshments: Coffee & treats provided.
Dress comfortably with good shoes and come well-hydrated! Fun, festive attire recommended!
This is a ticketed event! Adults 18 and older $5 each, kids 17 and younger $2.Volunteers attend free (contact Ranger O’Day for volunteer opportunities).