Peterson’s late-game heroics propel Bucs over Tennessee Tech

Published 2:03 pm Monday, December 11, 2023

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Peterson connects on go-ahead three-point play, Rice ices it with clutch free throws

 JOHNSON CITY – Quimari Peterson delivered the go-ahead play and Tyler Rice iced with it with a pair of clutch free throws as ETSU men’s basketball rallied for 73-72 win over Tennessee Tech on Sunday inside Freedom Hall.


Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox


For the second straight game, ETSU overcame a halftime deficit as the Bucs were down two at the break and scored 41 second-half points to rally for the home win. This marked the fifth time on the season where the Blue & Gold netted at least 40 points in the second half.

 Both teams made 24 field goals and ETSU made one more three-pointer (7-6). The Bucs shot a season-high 86 percent at the free throw line as ETSU finished 18-of-21, while Tennessee Tech went 18-for-22.

 The game featured nine lead changes and eight ties, while ETSU’s largest lead was six points and Tennessee Tech’s was seven.

 ETSU scored 17 points off 12 Golden Eagle turnovers, while both teams totaled 11 second-chance points.

 The Bucs were plus-two on the glass, 36-34, and grabbed 13 offensive rebounds.

 ETSU recorded a season-high 11 blocked shots, resulting in the second time this season the Bucs ended with double-digit blocks.

 With the win, ETSU has won back-to-back games for the first time this season as the Bucs improved to 5-4, while Tennessee Tech dipped to 3-7. Sunday marked the 76th all-time meeting between the two in-state rivals with the Bucs tying the series at 38-38. This was ETSU’s first win over the Golden Eagles since Feb. 16, 2015.



Quimari Peterson had himself a game as he finished with 23 points, eight rebounds, four assists, three steals and three blocks. Peterson also netted the go-ahead basket on a driving lay-up with less than 30 seconds remaining, where he completed the three-point play.


Ebby Asamoah and Jaden Seymour each added 13 points, while Karon Boyd totaled eight points, seven rebounds and two assists.


Jadyn Parker made his presence felt inside as he blocked five shots, corralled nine rebounds and dished out two assists. 


Tyler Rice, who finished plus-14 in 13 minutes played, tallied five points, one assist, one steal and one rebound as well as knocking down both free throws in the closing seconds to put the Bucs up 73-70.

 Jayvis Harvey led the Golden Eagles with 22 points, six rebounds and four assists.



In a game where neither team opened up much breathing room, both teams survived the punches.

 Tennessee Tech opened up by scoring 10 of the first 14 points and grabbed its largest lead when a jumper by Diante Wood made it 20-13 with just under nine minutes left before halftime. The Bucs responded by scoring the next eight points and Peterson capped a 13-2 run with a pair of free throws to put ETSU ahead, 26-22 at the 3:36 mark. The Bucs led for the remainder of the stretch until a three-pointer by Kyle Layton gave Tennessee Tech a 34-32 lead at the break.

The Golden Eagles carried momentum over into the early stages of the second half as they scored the first four points to up by six, but the Buccaneers never backed down. A quick 7-0 run by the Blue & Gold helped them regain a 39-38 advantage.

 Near the midway point of the half, ETSU took its largest lead when an offensive rebound by Peterson led to a quick put back, making it 51-45 with 12:11 showing on the clock.

 The Bucs were unable to extend their lead and six minutes later the Golden Eagles went back ahead when Josiah Davis finished a three-point-play, resulting in a 58-57 score with 6:32 left to play.

The see-saw battle continued as ETSU went back ahead 66-62 with under four minutes to play, but Tennessee Tech used a 7-0 surge to recapture a 69-66 lead with 1:18 remaining. Following a 30-second timeout by Brooks Savage, the Bucs executed perfectly with Parker finding Asamoah for the lay-up to pull within one – and five seconds after missing a jumper in the paint – Peterson got redemption as he drove to the rim and nailed an off-balanced lay-up with 28 seconds left. With the foul, Peterson converted at the foul line to put ETSU back up by one, 71-70, and the Buccaneer defense got the stop they needed on the Golden Eagles’ ensuing possession as Harvey turned the ball over. Tennessee Tech was forced to foul and Rice was the guy who went to the line and iced the game with a pair of free throws. The Golden Eagles had a look at a corner three in the closing seconds but the attempt by David Early was off the mark and ETSU remained perfect at home.



ETSU continues its home stand on Friday night when the Bucs host Tusculum at 7 p.m. inside Freedom Hall.