A Life Lived: Margie Walsh was always on the move

Published 11:27 am Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Editorial Director
Margie Walsh was 88 years old when she died January 18. For most of those 88 years, she had been a woman on the move – always working, going somewhere, helping somebody, just doing something.
Even during the last few years of her life when she was unable to work, she would say, “I wish I could get better so I could get a job and get back to work.”
Margie was raised in Dennis Cove and among her first jobs was at the Pan Am in Hampton. She was full of stories about the Pan Am. She most of the time would walk to the Pan Am from her home in Dennis Cove, which during those days meant walking through the railroad tunnel at Hampton. “Often she said she was scared to walk through the tunnel, but an old man who lived in the tunnel looked out for her,” shared Margie’s only daughter, Patty Maddux.
In addition to working at the Pan Am, she worked for Betty and Ted Tipton for many years at the Big B Restaurant, Lakeshore, and the Captain’s Table. “At Lakeshore and the Captain’s Table, she cleaned cabins as well as some houseboats, did waitress work, and some cooking. She was an excellent cook, and when she worked at the Big B, she went in early in the morning and would fix biscuits and gravy. She made all the desserts,” Patty said.
Even after she retired, she continued to work. At 78, she was cleaning the church weekly at Harmony Free Will Baptist Church. “She and dad enjoyed going to church, and cleaning the church was a labor of love for Mom,” said Patty.
After Margie left restaurant work, she and Roberta Jones cleaned houses.”She liked a clean house and enjoyed cleaning for others,” said Patty.
Margie also enjoyed helping people. Her obituary noted that when her sister-in-law, Dorothy Arnett, was ill, there was not a day that she didn’t check on her, either calling her or visiting. Often she cooked for her. She was Dorothy’s best friend and spent a lot of time with her.
Margie not only cared for people, but she was known for feeding and taking in every stray cat that came to her house. She had a cat house, which had heat and air conditioning. “Even though most of the cats were ferrell, they loved and trusted Momma,” said Patty.
“Mom was a lot of fun. She liked to lotion up with Oil of Olay and she liked to wear high-heels, especially when she went to church. The pastor’s wife also liked high heel shoes and often they would compare shoes. They wore the same size, and she wanted Dara to have her shoes after she died,” shared Patty.
Margie was married to Ray Luther Walsh. Although she only had one daughter, she had two brothers and two sisters, who preceded her in death, and a sister and four brothers still living. “She had a good family, a family and friends that stood by her. She loved them all, especially her grandson,” said her daughter.
“Momma lived a hard life, and even though she was tough, she was very compassionate. She loved the people she worked with and her grandson was the light of her life. She had a good work ethic. There was never a dull moment around her. I have good memories of her,” said Patty.
Margie was laid to rest January 24 at the Mountain Home National Cemetery.
Margie Walsh won’t soon be forgotten. She was a precious jewel, who shined, and reflected all the good things in the world.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox