Update: Brother of suspect in Blount deputy’s slaying held on $1 million bond

Published 7:04 pm Friday, February 9, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

By Buzz Trexler

Star Correspondent

The brother of the suspect in the slaying of a Blount County deputy and the wounding of another has been arrested and is being held in the Blount County Jail on a $1 million bond.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

According to Blount County Jail intake records, Marcus Erving DeHart, 41, brother of Kenneth Wayne DeHart, was arrested at 3:04 p.m. Friday. District Attorney General for the 5th Judicial District Ryan Desmond announced during a news conference Friday afternoon that he was charged with accessory after the fact, aiding after the commission of a homicide. No further details regarding his arrest were provided.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation issued a Blue Alert on Friday for 42-year-old Kenneth Wayne DeHart Jr., having obtained warrants charging him with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, and felon in possession of a weapon. DeHart has been added to the TBI Most Wanted List and is considered armed and dangerous.

A visibly shaken Blount County Sheriff James Lee Berrong said during a press conference around 1:15 a.m. Friday that Blount County Deputy Greg McCowan, 43, was shot to death following a traffic stop, while Deputy Shelby Eggers, 22, suffered a gunshot to the leg and returned fire.

“My friends behind me, they’ve had officers killed, and they’ve stood here before you before,” the sheriff said as state, local, and federal law enforcement officials stood behind him. “I haven’t. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done.”

Among those with Berrong at the press conference was Maryville Police Chief Tony Crisp, who lost an officer in an ambush in 2016.

According to BCSO’s Facebook page, the reward for DeHart’s capture has reached $80,000, including a TBI reward of up to $2,500; Blount County Mayor’s Office, $10,000; U.S. Marshals Service, $10,000; and Smith & Wesson CEO Mark Smith is offering a $40,000 reward. The balance of the reward total is covered by businesses and individuals. Anyone who has any information regarding the whereabouts of DeHart, is asked to call 865-981-7125 or 800-TBI-FIND.

According to a TBI release, the deputies initiated a traffic stop on an SUV in the 4900 block of Sevierville Road in Maryville. The driver, identified as DeHart, would not cooperate with deputies and refused to get out of the vehicle. A taser was deployed with no effect, the release said, and at some point DeHart produced a gun and fired shots, striking both deputies. DeHart then drove away from the scene.

During Friday afternoon’s press conference, Desmond said deputies initiated the stop on DeHart for erratic driving, but provided no other details.

McCowan was transported to Blount Memorial Hospital, where he later died. Eggers was also transported with serious but non-life-threatening injuries and the Sheriff’s Office said she is recovering at home.

McCowan, who had two children and a granddaughter, began as a BCSO reserve deputy, and joined the force full-time in 2020 after graduating from the Regional Law Enforcement Academy in 2020 where BSCO said he excelled. He was awarded the Sheriff’s Office Lifesaving Commendation in April 2021 for his part in saving the life of a man trapped in a burning vehicle. McCowan had recently been accepted on the Crisis Negotiations team.

Eggers joined the Sheriff’s Office in 2019 as a Corrections deputy and graduated from the academy in 2022, where BCSO said she also excelled.