Overtime drive spells doom for Bulldogs

Published 12:09 am Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Hampton Bulldogs fell hard after an overtime rally by the South Greene Rebels Tuesday night inside of Hampton High School.

After fighting to knot the game up at 54-54 in the fourth quarter, the Rebs came out in overtime and went on a 11-3 run, ending the game at 68-59. Lethal shooting from the foul line by the Rebels, who went 9 for 10, would be the determining  factor in the extra frame.

Photo by Bryce Phillips Hampton's Stanley Valentine draws foul as he goes up for the shot.

Photo by Bryce Phillips
Hampton’s Stanley Valentine draws foul as he goes up for the shot.

The first half was dominated by the Bulldogs. Sharp shooting from Stanley Valentine and Coby Jones would put the Dogs up 19-11 at the end of the first period.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

In the second quarter, Hampton, with scoring from Adam McClain, Valentine and Jones, went on  a 10-2 run. However, the Rebels answered with a 7-2 drive of their own. The teams went to the locker with the score set at 31-22 in favor of the ’Dogs.

The second half went the other way as the Rebels picked up steam, out scoring the Bulldogs 15-10 in the third period and 14-5 in the fourth.

The Rebels came into the fourth frame down, 44-39, and with the help of Trey Brown and Tweed, who sank three trey tuesday night,  fought to even themselves with the Bulldogs, tying the game at 50-50. With the game tied, the teams battled back and forth, until the ‘Dogs were up by one. The clocked counted down with Dogs’ leading 54-53. With just 4.2 seconds left on the clock, Brown drew a foul. He sank his first shot, knotting the game at 54-54. He missed his second shot sending the teams into overtime.

“I thought we came and played hard,” Hampton head coach, Ned Smith said. “We got up 14. We got into some early foul trouble. You know, Coby had three fouls. The the best two players we had, had to come over and set down. Just foul trouble early. You just have to come with intensity, and you just have to play hard.”

Rebels’ Logan Tweed led the way for South Greene with 26 points. The Rebs had three other double-digit games from David Wurley  (12 points), Trey Brown (13), and Todd Brown 11.

“I am as happy with my kids as I can possibly be,” Rebels head coach, Terry Hoese said. “We have seen Hampton play, we have seen the scores. They have dominated the most of the people they have played. For us to come up here and compete, especially for a conference game. We are 2-0 in the conference now. And beat a team that beat us four times last year. I am tickled to death.”

The Bulldogs were led in points by Coby Jones, who had 18. He was followed up Valentine with 17. With ten rebounds, Valentine also ended the game with a double-double.

South Greene 68

Tweed 26, Te. Brown 13, Wurley 12, To. Brown 11, Worrells 6.

Hampton 59

Jones 18, Valentine 17, McClain 7, Norris 7, Hutchinson 5, Camillo 3, Crumley 2.

South Greene 11 11 17 15 14 — 68

Hampton 19 12 13 10 5 — 59

3-points goals— South Green 7 (Wurley 4, Tweed 3) Hampton 7 (Jones 3, McClain 1, Norris 1, Camillo 1.)