Neighbors ensure quick response to house fire

Published 9:10 am Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Two neighbors took action Saturday when they noticed an Elizabethton home was on fire.

Cody Bowers told police that initially he thought someone in the area was lighting up the grill or burning brush, according to the report.

Upon rounding the corner of his home, he saw smoke coming from the home at 229 Cedar Ave. It was then that Bowers asked Charlotte Babb to call 911.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

When the Elizabethton Fire Department arrived on scene, they were able to determine that the fire started in the bathroom on the first floor, according to the report.

Fire Marshal Jack Buckles conducted a walkthrough of the home.

“The fire originated by an electric heater in a pile of clothes located next to the toilet,” the report said.

Buckles also noted that many cigarettes had been put out on the floors, tables and book cases of the home.

While Buckles was on scene, the renter Vanessa Vanover arrived. She reported that nothing seemed out of place.

“(She) stated the electric heater in the bathroom only worked occasionally and that she hadn’t used it in months,” according to the report.

Vanover had been house sitting in the Stoney Creek area when the fire occurred. She reported coming to the home to check the mail earlier that day, but did not enter the home.

Buckles concluded that the fire was accidental.