Fire kills 3 pets, sends firefighter to hospital

Published 4:10 pm Wednesday, September 12, 2018

A structure fire at 224 Lovers Lane in Elizabethton took the life of three family pets and sent a local firefighter to the hospital Wednesday.

While firefighters worked the scene, the ceiling collapsed and struck one of the firefighters, who was sent to Sycamore Shoals Hospital after complaints of neck and back pain.

Emergency responders received a call about the structure fire at roughly 1:13 p.m. Firefighters with the Watauga Volunteer Fire Department and the Stoney Creek Fire Department fought to extinguish the fire which was started by a stove in the kitchen.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

According to Watauga Fire Chief Benny Colbaugh, the fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen, living room, and attic, while also causing smoke damage throughout the entire house.

Firefighters retrieved the bodies of one cat and two dogs from the residence, and the homeowner suffered minor injuries.

Members with the Carter County Rescue Squad and the Carter County Sheriff’s Department were also on the scene.