West Carter County fire claims the life of one
Published 1:01 pm Wednesday, January 17, 2024
A fire in West Carter County claimed the life of a person early Tuesday morning although firemen attempted a rescue.
The house was located near the West Carter County Volunteer Fire Department on Keith Lane, however, firemen said the fire was well ahead of them by the time they arrived at the scene.
A spokesman for the West Carter County Volunteer Fire Department said the weather conditions and the state of the fire were what kept firefighters from attempting entry to the burning house.
According to reports two people were inside the house when the fire started. One made it out and did attempt to try and rescue the second person, but was injured. According to neighbors, a married couple lived in the house. The husband made it out, but the wife did not.
Firemen said the fire started in the attic and apparently the residents of the house didn’t become aware of the fire until it was out of control.
Assisting the West Carter County Fire Department were the Central and Watauga Fire Departments as well as the Elizabethton Fire Department, Carter County Sheriff’s Department, and the Carter County Rescue Squad.
Officers on the scene advised that house fires increase in the winter as people use supplemental heat, including space heaters, kerosene heaters, and fireplaces.
A neighbor told officers he often saw smoke coming from the neighbor’s chimney and thought it was likely they used wood as a heating fuel, though he wasn’t certain.
No names had been released as of Wednesday.